Thursday, May 1, 2008

Chicago, Illinois


I grew up in a south suburb of Chicago, so I consider the Chicago area "my homeland," and it is a very special place to me. When I was growing up, I didn't really get into the city much. But when I went to Columbia College back in my film school days, I took the train downtown every day during the week. I remember walking around the city back then, exploring it, and that feeling of excitement I had being in the city and knowing there was always something to do and something going on--it was really cool. I still have that feeling of excitement when I go into the city. There is so much to see and do in Chicago, and there are so many different kinds of people in the city. It's a fascinating place.

There are many great museums in Chicago like the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry. There is great shopping, especially on Michigan Avenue. Great food too--any kind you can imagine including Chicago specialties like deep dish pizza and hot dogs. There are fun attractions like Navy Pier, Millennium Park, and the Sears Tower, and there are festivals like the Taste of Chicago or various music or film festivals. And of course sports--Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, and my favorite the Cubs who I will be loyal to no matter where I am. There is another baseball team there too, but I don't care too much about them! All that is only a fraction of what Chicago is about. It is such a fun place, and I love it when I'm up north and have the opportunity to go into the city. Just walking around and taking it all in is fun.

No comments: