Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sudoku

When I first saw Sudoku, I didn't want anything to do with it. I knew there were numbers involved and I hate math. But my friend Jeannie told me it's not about math, but rather logic. And when she showed me how to do it, I got hooked.

The objective is to fill a 9×9 grid so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 boxes (also called blocks or regions) contains the digits from 1 to 9 only one time each. The puzzle setter provides a partially completed grid. There are different skill levels, and sometimes it is really challenging trying to fill everything in. It is fun to do these puzzles by yourself, but it is also fun to compete with a friend where both of you do the same puzzle and see who can complete it first. There are game versions of Sudoku and endless Sudoku puzzle books out there. I really enjoy it.

No comments: