Sunday, May 25, 2008

"Crossroads" Tracy Chapman



I absolutely love the music in this song. The acoustic guitar and percussion are awesome! The song really stuck in my head from the first time I heard it.

The subject matter of the song is interesting. Chapman speaks of the devil, and I think gives a good description of how the devil is and what he does. She says, "He's a fool he a liar, conjurer and a thief. He try to tell you what you want, Try to tell you what you need." So she gives this description of how the devil and demons mess with people. But the end of the song is bad theology as Chapman sings of saving her soul, saving herself. We have no power to save ourselves. Only Christ can save us from the power of the devil.

Like I said though, musically, I think the song is brilliant.
Listen and purchase here.

No comments: