Sunday, October 21, 2007

Isaiah 55:8-9

8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. 9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

This has been going through my head a lot lately. We often wonder why things happen the way they do. Often things don't make sense to us in this fallen world. At the time of writing this the secretary of my church is critically ill. She is only in her 30s with a husband and little girl. It's easy to start questioning why something like this would happen. But whys get us nowhere. We can't know why. We understand things with only a limited human perspective. As the Scripture says, God's thoughts are not our thoughts, our ways are not His ways. His ways and thoughts are higher than ours. So by faith we trust in God when life and situations don't make sense, especially when they don't make sense. We trust in His promises to us and know that He is loving and good and in control of all things. So I derive a lot of comfort from this Scripture. And I remember the better question to ask instead of "Why?" is "Where is God in all of this?" And the answer of course is He's right there where He always is--with us in our suffering, in our pain, in our questions, and in our confusion. He who suffered for us is with us always.

No comments: