Sunday, October 7, 2007

2 Timothy 4:7-8

7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

I have liked this passage for quite some time, and when I die want this to be the text for my funeral sermon. I mean, I can't imagine anything better to have said at the end of a Christian's life. Though that first verse has a lot of "I's" in it, it all points to God's work. The Holy Spirit gives and strengthens that faith throughout our life. Christ is with us all through our life to fight the good fight, and of course He won the fight against sin, death, and the power of the devil. Victory is ours only through Him. And receiving that crown of righteousness--what an awesome thought!

1 comment:

Rev. David M. Juhl said...

It so happens this is the text for my funeral tomorrow. A dear lady who fought cancer for over 23 years finally succumbed last week.