Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz

When I'm asked questions about what my favorite movie, song, book, etc. are, my first reaction usually is that it is too difficult to pick one favorite! However, I think would say The Hammer of God is my favorite book. It brings out the proper distinction between Law and Gospel in the format of a novel. The ways Law and Gospel get mingled in this book are ways Law and Gospel get mingled all the time today. People relying on their works, people self-righteous in what they're doing or despairing because they're not "good enough." But when God crushes with the hammer of Law and strips all that away and people rely on Jesus only and know they are saved only by faith in Him, well it's awesome. So many beautiful passages in this book that lay it all out. You can check some of the passages out in my Theology posts.

No comments: