Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel Fourteenth Evening Lecture C.F.W. Walther


Dr. C.F.W. Walther says,
"The Scriptural answer to the question: 'What must I do to be saved?' is: 'You must believe; hence you are not to do anything at all yourself.'...Having this doctrine, what exceedingly happy and blessed people we Lutherans are! This teaching takes us to Christ by a straight route. It opens heaven to us when we feel hell in our hearts. It enables us to obtain grace at any moment without losing time by following a wrong way, striving for grace by our own effort, as we sometimes do with a good intention. We can approach Christ directly and say: 'Lord Jesus, I am a poor sinner; I know it; that has been my experience in the past, and when I reflect what is going on in my heart now, I must say, that is still my experience. But Thou hast called me by Thy Gospel. I come to Thee just as I am; for I could come no other way.' That is the saving doctrine which the Evangelical Lutheran Church has learned from Christ and the apostles."

No comments: