Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Day

New Year's Day is always kind of cool. The whole year is ahead and you imagine what might happen, what lies ahead. It's exciting. It is also a new start. An opportunity to maybe do things differently or try something new. I usually make some resolutions. I don't always keep them long term, but they are good guides. And I developed the custom a few years ago to pick a theme phrase or word for the year. It is something I try to come back to and use as a guide. Past themes have included "It's Not the End of the World," "Contentment," and "Forward." 2008's theme is "In the Moment" a reminder to myself to not always be looking ahead so much that I don't enjoy the present or here and now. Because sometimes my life feels like it's on fast forward. I guess it's funny to have "In the Moment" following the past year's theme of "Forward." But the theme I pick is what I feel I need to focus on at a particular time in my life.

I enjoy sleeping in on New Year's Day since the night before I usually am up playing games, or watching movies, hanging out with family or friends. But then I usually try to get the year off to a good start by spending time exercising, reading Scripture, and thinking of goals for the year.

No comments: