Saturday, August 9, 2008

Summer Olympics

I always look forward to the Summer Olympics and enjoy watching as much of them as I can. I prefer the Summer Olympics to the Winter Olympics. It's really cool to see all these nations coming together and competing to the best of their ability. On my list of things I would like to do before I die, is seeing part of the Summer Olympics in person when it's in the US. I think it would be an incredible experience to be rooting for your country in your homeland like that and to be a part of this great international experience. If Chicago gets to host the Summer Olympics in 2016, I will probably do everything in my power to go.

For 2008, to celebrate the Summer Olympics, I hosted an International Party. The people I invited were encouraged to bring food/desserts from the country of their choice, and to be creative. We had eggrolls, sushi, hummus, a Swiss chicken dish, Italian beef and meatballs, sauerkraut, polish sausage, mini tacos and burritos, cheeses of the world, fruit, cannolis, cookies and candies from different nations, wines from different countries, etc. It was quite a nice spread. I found lots of flags of the nations decorations, so it looked pretty festive. And we all enjoyed watching the Opening Ceremonies. It is always fun to see what the host nation does with that, and cool to see the parade of nations and the torch being lit. It was a fun time.

Some of my favorite events to watch are gymnastics, some of the track and field stuff, volleyball, and badminton. Now there is more television coverage than ever, so it is awesome to watch lots of Olympic stuff!




No comments: