Monday, June 16, 2008

Q*bert


In this video game, the player maneuvers Q*bert, an orange creature with a tubular nose, around a pyramid. The purpose is to jump on the squares changing them to a certain color. The formations change, and later on it gets more complicated because if you hop on a square a second time, it goes back to its original color, so you have to be strategic in where you hop. And complicating things more are creatures who will cause you to lose a life if they touch you, like Coily, the purple snake. It's also possible to accidentally cause Q*bert to jump off the edge of the pyramid, which of course results in a lost life.

When I was a kid, I had Q*bert for the Atari 2600 (the game came out in '82 originally). A few years ago, I was thinking about this game, and thought it would be so cool to play it again, but I couldn't find it. Then I was at the store the other day and found it for the computer. Q*bert lives! I'm having fun playing again, but it's taken me awhile to get used to controlling him again.

Nothing says 80s like Q*bert!

No comments: