Monday, July 7, 2008

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

This classic John Hughes film from the 80s about a high school student, his best friend and his girlfriend taking the day off is pure fun. I like it for a few reasons. 1. Being from the Chicago area, I love seeing all the Chicago attractions they visit--Wrigley Field for a Cubs Game, the Sears Tower, the Art Institute, Board of Trade etc. 2. I like Matthew Broderick a lot and think he was the perfect one to do this character. 3. The other characters are amusing like the principal, Mr. Rooney, who tries all day to catch Ferris, his secretary, the teacher played by Ben Stein who made memorable "Buller, Bueller, Bueller."

Some lines:
Ferris: (Ferris opens the curtain to show a beautiful day outside, blue sky, sunshine) "How could I possibly be expected to handle school on a day like this?"

Ferris: "This is my 9th sick day this semester. It's getting pretty tough coming up with new illnesses. If I go for 10 I'm probably going to have to barf up a lung, so I better make this one count.

Mr Rooney: (Observing Sloane kiss who he thinks is her father, but is really Ferris): So that's how it is in their family.

No comments: