Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Habakkuk 3:17-19

17 Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, 18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. 19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.

When I read this passage, I think about the distinction between happiness and joy. Happiness is a mere feeling and is a fleeting thing. One minute I can be happy, and then in the next minute something can happen to take that feeling away. As circumstances in our lives change or things become difficult, the feeling of happiness can leave us. But joy, the joy we have as Christians, is something much deeper. The joy in knowing what Christ has done for us, that we are saved by grace is something that remains even though everything else in our lives may change and we may be faced with some difficult trials. We can always rejoice in our Savior.

No comments: