Saturday, October 25, 2008

"A Hymn to God the Father" by John Donne


Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin, through which I run
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done;
For I have more.

Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin, and made my sins their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallow'd in, a score?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done;
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by Thyself, that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine, as He shines now and heretofore:
And having done that, Thou hast done;
I fear no more.

This poem always deeply moves me when I read it. Donne speaks of our constant struggle with sin and our need for forgiveness. And then he speaks of the comfort of the Gospel--knowing Christ died for us, we truly need not fear. I love Donne's work.

No comments: